I'm David Rampton, and this is my Blog.

Sunday, August 24, 2008

Spottieottiedopalicious Angel

Yesterday was the reception for my brother's wedding. The best part about it had to be having all my brothers (real, half and informally adopted) around to watch the 2008 Olympic Gold Medal Basketball game last night. I have logged many fond memories with these brothers watching Laker games; and despite the fact that Laker superstars were on both sides of the U.S. vs. Spain, the family remained undivided in it's allegiance to Redeem Team USA and Kobe Bryant (sorry Pau, but we're Americans). At one point, durring the hard fought game, Kobe get's fouled on a 3-pointer, and makes the free-throw, completing a four point play. Yoshiki and I went super-doodoo-dookie dumb (there really is no other way to describe it) when he hit the shot.

I mentioned earlier that I've been listening to a lot of Johnny Cash lately. I have an odd connection to him, in that my middle name is Cash, and to the best of my geneological understanding, it comes from the same family. The maiden name of the Mother of my Great-Grandfather, Charles Cash Rampton, aka Grandpa Cash (yes, he was loaded) wash Cash. Apparently, that's where the connection is. Cash has been the middle name of the first born of every boy since Grandpa Cash. It's a good, powerful name, and I love it.

Johnny Cash had a way of putting emotion into a song, the way no one else did. The instrumental aspect of his music was simple. His voice however was original and powerful. The unique aspect of his voice rivals the likes of Bob Dylan, as does his song writting. Throughout his life, professional career included, Johnny felt a deep connection to the working class. His songs struck a familar chord in the hearts of those who knew struggle, strife, vice, hard work, pain and simple pleasure Johnny Cash certainly is a great American Icon.

No comments: