I'm David Rampton, and this is my Blog.

Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Taco Tuesday got moved to Wednesday in LA

Just down the road from my apartment is a Mexican Restaurant called Don Antonio's. They have a $1 taco night on Wednesdays. Kinda weird, but I suppose you don't need to compete with any other Taco Tuesday promos on a Wednesday. The place was packed. I guess I was the only one in LA who didn't know Taco Tuesday got moved to Wednesday.

This Friday there is an amazing underground hip hip show going on in Glendale. The Western Conference featuring Zion I, Haiku d'etat and more. I'm real excited about it, I just gotta convince someone to go with me. Finding kids who appreciate underground hip hop in the adult world is somewhat of a cumbersome task. I'm not looking forward to that.

I saw Zion I about 2 years ago, and they were amazing. I've really liked Haiku d'etat for a while also, but never been able to see them live. What I really appreciate about this class of hip hop is the poetry of their craft. In 20 years or so, when they begin to add American Poetry of our day to the history history books, there will be no doubt that recognition must be given to the underground hip hop artists of this day. They have certainly joined the ranks of some of the most prolific and profound writers of this country. Perhaps the crowd they draw and clothes they wear masks the reality of their talent. Maybe the lifestyles they and their fans live deny them the literary recognition they deserve. Nevertheless, in time, when the dust of subjectivity and stereotype has settled, a future expert of American literature will have no choice but to give this classification of hip hop its poetic plaudits.

No comments: